Hi! I’m Ms. Lore, a high school English teacher located in the Midwest.

Welcome to the landing site and experimental class blog for my English IV class. I’ve been a blogger myself for about the last 10 years, but because my passion for writing encompasses so much, I’ve never been able to stick with a niche blog for too long. Instead, I’ve hosted this kind of blog and that kind of blog before finally jumping into fiction writing. Nowadays, I spend the majority of my writing time writing books instead of blog posts, but I’ve always wanted to try blogging with my students so here we are.

This year marks my ninth year of teaching which is actually quite a feat these days. You could say I’m an unconventional teacher of sorts, especially as it wasn’t my first career choice. I wasn’t the typical kid who grew up always wanting to be a teacher. Instead, I’ve always loved books and writing, so if my plans of becoming a novelist ever fell through, I had hoped to own a children’s bookstore, just like Kathleen Kelly.* Thus, I was an English major/Creative Writing minor in college, and eventually went back for my education studies. Teaching English has been something I’ve stumbled into, but I love it because I spend my days around words. Throw in my tattoos, my philosophy on an atypical classroom, and that fact that I believe kids should read what they choose and write what they love… and well, you get an interesting mix in my classroom.

Take a look around to see what’s happening in my English world, and if it’s a password protected page, don’t worry, it’s just class specific stuff geared for my students!

-Ms. Lore

*Both of these dreams still exist and are bound to happen one day. I’m in the midst of querying my first novel, revising my second and third, and I’ve always got my eye out for a decent bookstore spot!

A few favorites:

1. Reading: I’m a huge fan of middle grade fantasies and mysteries, but some of my all-time favorite books include: The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis, Harry Potter by J.K Rowling, A Wrinkle in Time Quartet by Madeleine L’Engle, The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas, and The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen.
  2. Decaf Coffee: bold, dark roast with a hint of Nutpods
  3. TV dates with my husband: We particularly love anything Star Wars on Disney+, Doctor Who, Agents of SHIELDGame of Thrones, The Librarians, New Girl, Marvel, Stranger Things, and Father Brown.
  4. Hiking, camping, and nature in general
  5. My two mini dachshunds, who happen to be the world’s best literary pets.