I don’t know about you, but Daylight Savings Time is hard for me. When the dark settles in at 4:30 every night, all I want to do is curl up and read some cozy mysteries. 

Which is why this month we’ve been studying Mystery fiction in the classroom, and I’ve consumed about seven mysteries novels already! In terms of our classroom genre studies, we’re looking at mystery novels as “stories with a case / crime / or crime to solve.

Mysteries also involve other specific characteristics like a detective, either amateur or professional, along with a cast of suspects, and out of all the literary genres, mystery is probably the most popular among readers. Sherlock Holmes has far outlived his original run and is one of the most adapted characters of all time while Dame Agatha Christie has sold more books than the Bible or even Shakespeare. I think we’re often drawn to mystery because we want to live exciting lives. And the mystery genre, full of thrillers, suspense, murder, and mayhem, allows us to step outside of our everyday life if only for a little bit.

The Young Adult field is no different, and today I’m sharing 5 thrilling YA mysteries , as well as a few extras printable book lists. Each book summary is directly from the Goodreads page which is where the links will take you so you can add it to your to-be-read shelves!

Happy reading and here’s to becoming an amateur detective!

You Owe Me a Murder by Eileen Cook 

17-year-old Kim never expected to plot a murder. But that was before her boyfriend dumped her for another girl. Now, Kim’s stuck on a class trip to London with him and his new soulmate and she can’t help wishing he was a little bit dead, even if she’d never really do that.

But when Kim meets Nicki, a stranger on the plane who’s more than willing to listen to Kim’s woes, things start to look up. Nicki’s got a great sense of humor, and when she jokes about swapping murders, Kim plays along—that is, until Kim’s ex-boyfriend mysteriously dies.

Blackmailed by Nicki to fulfill her end of the deal, Kim will have to commit a murder or take the fall for one.

Truly, Devious by Maureen Johnson

Ellingham Academy is a famous private school in Vermont for the brightest thinkers, inventors, and artists. It was founded by Albert Ellingham, an early twentieth century tycoon, who wanted to make a wonderful place full of riddles, twisting pathways, and gardens. “A place” he said, “where learning is a game.”

Shortly after the school opened, his wife and daughter were kidnapped. The only real clue was a mocking riddle listing methods of murder, signed with the frightening pseudonym, Truly Devious. It became one of the great unsolved crimes of American history.

True-crime aficionado Stevie Bell is set to begin her first year at Ellingham Academy, and she has an ambitious plan: She will solve this cold case. That is, she will solve the case when she gets a grip on her demanding new school life and her housemates: the inventor, the novelist, the actor, the artist, and the jokester. But something strange is happening. Truly Devious makes a surprise return, and death revisits Ellingham Academy. The past has crawled out of its grave. Someone has gotten away with murder.

The Perfect Candidate by Peter Stone

When recent high school graduate Cameron Carter lands an internship with Congressman Billy Beck in Washington, DC, he thinks it is his ticket out of small town captivity. When he lacks connections and Beltway polish he makes up in smarts, and he soon finds a friend and mentor in fellow staffer Ariel Lancaster.

That is, until she winds up dead.

As rumors and accusations about her death fly around Capitol Hill, Cameron’s low profile makes him the perfect candidate for an FBI investigation that he wants no part of. Before he knows it—and with his family’s future at stake—he discovers DC’s darkest secrets as he races to expose a deadly conspiracy.

If it doesn’t get him killed first.

We Told Six Lies by Victoria Scott

Remember how many lies we told, Molly? It’s enough to make my head spin. You were wild when I met you, and I was mad for you. But then something happened. And now you’re gone.

But don’t worry. I’ll find you. I just need to sift through the story of us to get to where you might be. I’ve got places to look, and a list of names.

The police have a list of names, too. See now? There’s another lie. There is only one person they’re really looking at, Molly.

And that’s yours truly.

Confessions of a Murder Suspect by James Patterson

On the night Malcolm and Maud Angel are murdered, Tandy Angel knows just three things: 1) She was the last person to see her parents alive. 2) The police have no suspects besides Tandy and her three siblings. 3) She can’t trust anyone-maybe not even herself.

As Tandy sets out to clear the family name, she begins to recall flashes of experiences long buried in her vulnerable psyche. These memories shed light on her family’s dark secrets, and digging deeper into her powerful parents’ affairs proves to be a disturbing and dangerous game. Who knows what any of the Angels are truly capable of?

Love mysteries & want more? Try one of these other YA mysteries!  Or perhaps one of these YA thrillers is what you’re looking for! (click to download a PDF book list!)

I’d love to know how you feel about mystery novels and what reads are your favorite!  Or, come connect with me on Instagram where I’ll be sharing some of my favorites!

-Ms. Lore

If you’d like even MORE book recommendations, then make sure to subscribe to my newsletter! You’ll get access to my free downloads and other exclusive content.

Read this genre: Mystery
Tagged on: